Tuesday, May 29, 2012

shinsplints

i think i figured out what's been causing my shinsplints. and the good news is, it's actually because of something i did right


how, you ask, can you get shinsplints from doing something right? well, i'll tell you.


i was talking about my frustrating shinsplints with a friend, and we were talking through the possibilities trying to figure out what could be causing them when she mentioned weight gain/loss. sometimes gaining or losing a lot can throw your body off as it readjusts to the weight distribution. and as i thought back, it seemed the problem and the weight loss seemed to coincide, if i'm remembering my time lines accurately.


and then i thought, "but i've only lost about 12 pounds." then i did the math. even at 12 pounds of weight loss, starting out at 165 means i'd lost about 7% of my total body weight. i suppose that's probably significant, especially since the first 8 came off in just a few weeks. 


so, i cut back on my runs and haven't had any problem. i think i was already starting to adjust before since my weight loss stagnated a little for a couple weeks, and i'm losing more slowly now. but, anyhoo, it's nice to have an answer! and i have to say, it's even kind of cool knowing i've lost enough weight to affect my body that much. i'm about halfway to where i want to be now, and still losing. i'm optimistic. 

No comments: