Sunday, February 1, 2009

Football and Blessings

So, in all my 23 years I've never been to a Super Bowl party, mostly because, of course, it's on Sunday, but partly because I never really had a group of friends that were into it enough to have one. But today, Paul and the kids and I went to our first Super Bowl party, and what a blast! I picked the Steelers to win and they did. The game was alright, but I really went for the awesome company. What a FUN group of people to hang out with and 3 of the 5 couples that wer there have only been here in this ward (and Fresno, I think) for less than a year, but was a great group! I'm the youngest by several years, but I don't even notice around them. I'm pretty sure I'm as close to the oldest child's age (he's 15) as I am to the next older adult. . .maybe more (since Paul's already almost 7 years older than me himself, and I think he's a couple years younger than them).

The best part of the night though: so, there's the game they have on XBox called Soul Caliber. It's kind of like Mortal Komat on steroids (I hear it's actually a revival/revamp of an old game of the same name). Ever seen a DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) mat? Well, I've never actually played DDR, but they had a mat and decided it would be fun to try to play this game with the DDR mat instead of a controller. So, instead of pushing buttons with your thumbs, you actually jump up and down on the mat. SOOO HILARIOUS to watch, even more fun to play, and what a workout! I don't think I've laughed that hard in awhile. Gary thought it was so fun after he tried it the first time he went out and bought another DDR mat so two people could play each other. During halftime we took turns fighting it out by jumping up and down. After 10 matches, I think, I'd worked up a nice little sweat and my legs were getting tired.

I guess my point to all this is, I can hardly even believe just how blessed I feel. On our first Sunday in the ward I was really nervous this was going to be a boring ward and finding friends was still going to be tough, but now I know Heavenly Father really did have a plan for us and this is truly where we're supposed to be. Of the 5 wards we've been in since we got married, this is my favorite hands down, though I do miss the people in our last Idaho ward.

The older I get the more convinced I am that Heavenly Father never intended for our journey here on earth to be completed alone. He knew we would need people to lean on and learn from. I guess that's why families are so important and for those without biological families we always have the Church family. It's so comforting to me to know that no matter where I go I am among friends when I find other Church members.
Just walking through the bookstore on Saturday I had the thought that it's so nice that I can feel so comfortable in a random store because I know the owners share my core values. Stranger isn't a word in my vocabulary when it comes to the Church, and I love it. Even when I visited Florida and went to a sacrament meeting all by myself I felt totally comfortable and not weird or out of place at all. The Gospel brings people together more completely and quicker than anything else ever can and I feel truly blessed to have it in my life.

I wasn't intending to get all preachy and monolougy (if you can say that about writing--is that even a word??) but the thoughts have been going through my head recently so I thought I'd share.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a sweet testimony. Was it with the people that you play guitar hero with?

Christa said...

One and the same, but there were a couple other families that weren't there the night you guys were with us.