Monday, August 29, 2011

there's good news and there's bad news...

the good news is i've discovered the cleanliness/orderliness of my house has a profound effect on my mood so clean house = happy me. and it's really that simple.

the bad news is the status of my house has a profound effect on my mood.

i understand most people (if not all) experience this to some degree or another. mine is so severe as to make me either completely lazy, and put me in a funk for long periods of a time or keep me cheerful, patient and highly motivated. it's quite extreme. on the one hand, it's great to have such a simple answer for my mood. on the other hand, it's not always easy to keep my house clean with 4 little ones running around and undoing everything i do almost as fast as i undo it (sometimes faster). however, i've always had a strong desire to be clean. like really clean, and organized. and i'm discovering if i break it up it's actually not terribly hard. 


i also understand that this isn't just a "mood" thing. it is in fact my ability to recognize and feel the spirit. i'm very sensitive to presence of the holy ghost (or lack thereof) and apparently i need just the right conditions to feel his calming presence. hopefully this knowledge will be a great tool in my personal revelation as well. learning to recognize how it works for you is key, right?

so, now that i know what i'm dealing with hopefully i can use this as motivation to really keep my house clean. fortunately, my husband is very helpful in this way, especially if i make specific requests. and the kids aren't too bad at it either if i'm specific with them as well and reward them according to their efforts. i wish i were more unflappable, but sadly it seems that i am not. oh well. i'm learning to make things work for me. that's a start.

2 comments:

Rebecca Susan said...

This is why I make so much effort to keep things clean, and regularly purge (especially toys): with dirt, clutter, etc, I can't think straight, get irritable, and am totally demotivated and unproductive, which makes me more irritated and it just kind of spirals. Good luck with your efforts!

FrankandAsh said...

it's funny because I was just thinking about how I'm going to handle having a new baby and not being able to do as much around the house and having a little one mess it up at the same time. I feel so lazy when I don't do anything, sometimes I really wish I could just be ok with not doing anything, especially being so pregnant, sadly I haven't figured it out yet:) If you figure out the answer let me know:)