Tuesday, December 20, 2011

christmas on sunday

i have a confession to make. when i first discovered that christmas was on a sunday this year i was disappointed. 


on a different, but related note, i've really wondered, like i never have how to make this holiday real and important to my kids. how can i make sure that they really understand why we celebrate christmas? they're really young, but if we don't teach them now it won't mean too much later. i want them knowing from as early as they can remember that christmas is for charity and family and service and reflection.


i, myself have felt very reflective this year and felt the true meaning of christmas a little more this year than i ever have in my 26 christmases. as i struggled with how to convey to them how truly important christmas is, i realized having christmas on sunday is perfect. what better way to teach them that christmas is about Christ than to actually worship in Christ's house? 


actually writing that (and re-reading it) makes me feel silly because so many people already know that, that's why they have midnight mass and other special church services on christmas day. but because we live our religion more than some we don't consider it essential to actually be in church on christmas to celebrate and show our respect. but i do consider it a bonus and hope that it will help to show my children how important christmas--and all that it represents--is to me.

1 comment:

FrankandAsh said...

I totally know how you feel, although sadly I was excited about having Christmas on Sunday because it meant only having to go to church for an hour..how bad am I? But I agree I've really tried to find the true meaning of Christmas, I did the 12 days of Christmas for a family in our ward which I hope to make an on going tradition and I've tried to donate any time I see a Salvation Army kettle, but none of which Parker understands, so hopefully I can explain to him as best as possible the reason we celebrate Christmas. I was thinking of using a little nativity and just telling him a very short version of the story:)