Monday, December 26, 2011

growing up near both sets of grandparents, we had pretty set traditions for when and where we celebrated holidays. but christmas morning was always just us, the immediate family. and i loved growing up that way. i've kind of taken it for granted that it would be the same for my kids. i mean, i never expected to stay here in the central valley my whole life, but i hadn't really thought about what that meant in terms of holidays and specific things we'd be giving up or moving away from. 

christmas this year has been really really great. it's been fun, we've had a lot of special teaching moments with the kids, i've felt the meaning of christmas more than any other year and things were relaxed and enjoyable. but last night, on the way home from my mom's i had a realization. this year will be the last year, at least for the foreseeable future, that we will be able to do christmas morning together as a family and still be within driving distance of family, especially parents.

and that made me a little sad.

we will either have our christmas morning as a family or christmas with extended family. we will no longer be able to have the blessing of both. and i will miss that. i will especially miss that for my kids.

but i'm grateful for all the years we have been able to enjoy such a blessing and my kids have too, even though they won't remember it.

2 comments:

FrankandAsh said...

I shouldn't say this, but for those reasons sometimes I wish we didn't live so close to family. We not only have parents we have grandparents and my husbands side expects you to go see everyone, even if you just saw them the night before! Our whole day felt so rushed, have to go here, have to go there. I felt like I didn't have two seconds to think about the real meaning of Christmas, it made me really sad when it was all over. Next year I just may be the party pooper a little and put my foot down! lol I'm glad you had a good Christmas, and I hope everything goes well for you in the coming year!

Christa said...

we did that for a year or two and i did have to put my foot down. especially since paul's birthday is on christmas eve and they wanted to do birthday and christmas each on their own day. i couldn't handle the rush and madness. it sucked all the fun out of the day, so i know what you mean.