Friday, April 3, 2009

How is it possible?!

What an AWFUL morning! I had to play the piano today at a funeral for a man in the ward. I wasn't playing the organ, I was the accompanist for the soloist for the special musical numbers. We practiced Tuesday morning at the church building and he left the sheet music for one of the songs with me so I could practice it. It was a song called "I Walked Today Where Jesus Walked". I practiced it just yesterday. I had my schedule all figured out about where to be and when. I was going to drop the kids off at someone's house so I could be uninterrupted. At 10:00 I was looking around, getting all my stuff together so I'd be ready to go. And then, I couldn't find the music. . .anywhere. I looked for almost 2 hours straight. I swear it disappeared. How EMBARRASSING. I've never done something like this before in my whole life. Sure, I've lost stuff before, but never someone else's music that I had to have right now for a performance.

At 11:00 I finally called Paul (again) and he said he would come home and help me look for it. Didn't do any good. Still couldn't find it. I looked for a digital download online to take with me. Couldn't find one. Finally, at 10 to noon (the funeral was at noon) I decided I was just going to have to go and tell him that I lost the music. Paul dropped off the kids for me so I could go straight to the church. We were supposed to get together a little early to go through them; I'm sure he was wondering where in the heck I was. Wow, how embarrassing. I was mortified. I think he figured that out though when I started crying trying to explain how I'd looked for it for over and hour and couldn't find it anywhere. Even my dear husband left work to come help me find it, but alas, to no avail. I still have no idea where it is. I looked everywhere. Oh well. I will have to buy a new copy and have it sent to him.

He ended up just doing the other one that we'd planned on, instead of both and was quite sweet about the whole thing, even telling me that he'd lost his wallet for 30 minutes this morning. Poor guy. He'd heard all this good stuff about me. . .and I go and do this! What a morning. Hopefully later will be better.

3 comments:

Becky said...

those situations make me sick to my stomach...and you feel like it's your reputation on the line...not just a simple mistake. don't worry - he'll figure out what you're really like - and he probably already knows. okay, now take a deep breath...relax...eat ice cream...have a good weekend...bb

Mandie Flood said...

Hello, it's Mandie Flood. Later is always better, my dear, but only how we deal with now will let the later be better. Sorry to hear of your frustrations with the music. Those are the rip-you-hair-from-your-head moments that i personally experience my fair share of.
You know you tried, and so does he.
Plus, rice is easy to cook, milk is white...usually, babies poop and it sounds like Paul is really there for you. Those are somethings you never have to worry about changing on you or losing.
much love...mandie flood

Kfrogdiva said...

Wow, what a horrible time that must have been! I hate that when it happens, it is beyond frusterating! Like others are telling you though, you are great and talented, and I don't think there is any way he couldn't have figured that out. Plus, I am a believer in things happening for a reason, even awful things like this. Maybe for some reason, that song was not meant to be performed at that time for that gentleman who had passed on. Not that it isn't an awesome song, but, maybe it was meant that you did the other one. If you haven't already paid for a new copy of the music, I hope you find it before you do!
Or, look at it this way, if you find it after taking care of replacing his, then it's all yours!
Take care!