Friday, May 23, 2008

Doctors, Temples, and School

So, I went to the doctor today for my second checkup. Paul had class from 9-10, so Keith and I just went to Rexburg with him and went to the park while he was in class. My last appointment Paul came in with me because he knew they were going to do a vaginal ultrasound and he wanted to see. I figured this was just going to be a normal checkup so this time I left him and Keith in the waiting room. While I was in the exam room he was trying to hear the baby's heartbeat with the Doppler thing, but couldn't find it, so we scooted over to the room with the ultrasound machine and checked it out there. We were only looking at it for maybe one full minute...maybe less, but after he was done he said "Do you want to know what it is?"

I said "No."

"Okay, then I won't tell you."

Then, I realized what he'd implied and I said "Wait, you saw it just now?"

And he said "Yeah...but before you start assuming (or something...I can't remember his exact words) or guessing at what that means, know that I can tell just as easily with a boy or a girl", which I knew because I've looked at a lot of ultrasound photos from other people, and some were unmistakably girls!

Totally cool though, even though I don't know. At least someone does! lol. So, I went back out to the waiting room and told Paul "The doctor knows what it is. Haha, and you didn't get to find out!" He really wants to know (mostly because he's impatient), and I really want it to be a surprise. He thinks he can keep it a secret, but anyone who knows Paul very well knows he's not very good at keeping big secrets! I'm so afraid he'll spill it on accident. I'm still trying to convince him that it would be best if he waited with me. I think I'm almost there now! They're doing another one in about 5 weeks, when I'm over 20 weeks, and I think I've convinced Paul that he doesn't need to know! It'll be more fun to wait for the moment in the hospital!

Anyway, on a different note. I get to go to the temple with the youth tonight to do baptisms. I haven't don't that since the time I was in YSA (very briefly), so I'm pretty excited. Paul actually gets off early tonight and they're going to a late session. It worked out nicely. Although we got to go through the open house with Liss & Nate, I haven't gotten to do any actual work in the temple yet. It's so beautiful.

And just because I'm excited: Paul has officially 8 weeks of school left! WOOHOO!!! Counting down.........

3 comments:

Rebecca Susan said...

You're nuts. I don't like any surprises in the delivery room, even good ones. I'm far too impatient. With Dylan, I didn't find out I was having a boy until I was 27 weeks along and it made me crazy. I only like surprises when I don't know they're coming. Knowing they're coming but still having to wait is tortuous for me. Glad things are going well so far!

Jen said...

I must confess, I'm rather impatient to know what you're having too!! Like Becky said, it's torture!! Plus, I feel the need to be physically ready. If I had both boys and girls I wouldn't worry as much about it but since I don't have any girls yet, I want to be ready for a girl when she comes! Maybe that's part of my desire to know what you're having. What happens if it's a girl and you don't have anything girly for her yet?! I don't think I'd worry as much with Becky since she already has both. But then again, the curiosity of what it would be would probably still kill me! I need time to think of names and if I know what I'm having I can focus more energy on finding the right name. I'm definitely finding out with my next one! Heck, let's be honest, I'll probably find out with all of them.

Jen said...

Sorry, I know that comment was long already but just to clarify, I meant, like Becky said, it's torture for me to know there's a surprise but not know what it is.