Wednesday, October 15, 2008

BIG Blessings

So, Paul came home yesterday a bit later than usual, and I said "you're late." (as in, later than usual), and he said "Yeah, and I'll probably have a few more late days. Four people got laid off today."

What?? Wow. When I asked him why, all he could say was "the economy". He wasn't sure who exactly it was except for one woman named Jadine (who I liked a lot). Now, Paul was the last person hired at Matt . . . and of course everyone knows what that means. I can't believe how close Paul just got to losing his job. The question is, why did they keep him and hire others who have all been there, at least months longer than him?

I don't know. I think this must be one of the tender mercies of the Lord. That's about the only thing that makes any sense. He hasn't even been there 3 whole months yet and Jadine had been there for over a year, at least. There was also one other little miracle; It wasn't just some random choice that they kept him . . . somebody he works with--(easily the most successful man he works with who doesn't work in a "management" position because he's smart enough to know he doesn't want all the responsibility. He just continues to work for the "fun" of it)--I think stuck his neck out for Paul and argued to keep Paul (if there a debate which there probably was). One of his bosses told him "be grateful, you have a fan."

I was stunned. I was just sitting there thinking about how close he got to losing his job. You don't realize how quick something like that can happen. And while I'm thrilled that by some miracle Paul still has his job, I feel so bad for the four others who don't. I wonder if they're thinking "Why me and not Paul? He was the last guy in." He said his boss was not in a good mood yesterday afternoon. He was sad he had to let anyone go. About all I can say is, wow, and kneel down and thank Heavenly Father . . . repeatedly. And think about what I should be doing to be worthy of such a blessing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad to hear it... The whole economy situation sucks but it gets really REALLY scary when it starts to affect people you know and love.. and especially yourself!

Rebecca Susan said...

Thank goodness for good allies!! I hope you're feeling better. Nasty colds when you're pregnant are the worst, and even more so when you have a sick kid at the same time. I'm grateful Paul's still employed!