Saturday, October 25, 2008

We Got A Piano!

Last night Paul made the comment that we should go to breakfast this morning which was cool with me. So this morning we got up, lounged for a little bit and headed for Denny's. On the way back Paul got into the left turn lane one street too early so I said "where are you going?" He said "there was a sign for an estate sale back there." Uh, okay, whatever. I figured it would give us something to do for a little while and we couldn't figure out what to do anyway today, so why not? Besides, who knows, we could get lucky and find some unbelievably awesome find, right?

Wow, the place was packed. When we drove up the street I said "I'm guessing it's where all the cars are parked." There were an awful lot of cars. The woman who was moving out must've been old cause the house was completely 70's, right down to the green shag carpet. (Yeah, I had flashbacks to my bedroom when I was a kid, haha). Most of the stuff was junk or worth very little, but inside there was a piano! So, I sat down to play. And it turned out to be an awesome piano! The action on it is great and so is the sound quality, and even though the piano is obviously a few decades old, it's in great condition, outside and in! This was truly an answer to my prayers. I'd prayed to find a piano, but I wasn't doing a whole lot to help right now because I didn't want to spend the money. I figured if now was really the best time to buy one, one would sort of fall into my lap . . . and it kind of did. It was a great price too. A little more than I initially planned on spending, but definitely worth the price.

The sale had started only at 9:00 am, and we arrived around 9:40. After I'd bought it and we were waiting for Paul's dad to come with his truck another guy came in and was like "Oh, it's already sold." What kind of awesome luck is that? The hammers and felt inside look almost new. They're obviously not because they have some wear, but I can't help but think the owner has had them replaced at some point, or from the beginning this piano was more for looks than function. All it really needs is a good tuning. I'm so excited to have a piano again!

Look how flat the hammers are still (really shallow indentations from the strings still) and how flat the dampers sit against the strings. Or if you don't really care, you can move on now . . . I'm just super excited, haha.

(PS - If you click on the photo of the piano you can see all the detail in the wood.)



2 comments:

Rebecca Susan said...

Beautiful!! I'm so happy for you! That's quite a find. That should hold you over nicely til you get your hands on that Steinway:) Can't wait to see it in your pretty new house.

Anonymous said...

YAY~!!!!! What's a pianist with out a piano?!