Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Decisions, decisions . . .

Okay, so turns out we DID do lasting damage to the engine, and now our car is a sitting pile of worthless metal. We cracked a head (we think) because we got it too hot. Now what? We are trying to decide whether it would be best to cut our loses, try to sell it for $1000 or so and buy another car or spend the money to fix it. This sucks. I hate making these kids of decisions. Logically, I feel like we should spend the money to fix it since buying a new(er) vehicle would be much more costly for two reasons: one, we practically would have to deplete our savings to get a decent down payment, two, then we add a monthly car payment on top of that to our bills which would make it that much harder to restore our savings. I know it's costly to fix it, but at least it would be done, it would be cheaper than buying a new one, and we'd still be debt free, which really seems like a better idea at this point with the economy the way it is and all.

Then, another part of me thinks maybe we should simplify even more sell the suburban. I'm pretty sure we could get $5000 for it, and we'd go back to being a one car family for awhile. I know that seems silly since we just bought it, but I'm thinking having the money right now might really be smarter than the second vehicle. The would also give us a big jump start in our car fund for when we really WILL need to buy a new car cause this Saturn ain't going to last forever! Ugh. In the meantime, Chuck is going to let us borrow the station wagon since he doesn't use it much anyway, but I don't know for how long. Nick thinks we should "cut our loses" and sell the Saturn, but I truly don't think Nick understands the beauty of being (minus school/house loans) debt free.

Any thoughts? Ultimately, of course we will pray about it, but I'm curious to hear what others think. I like to get lots of different opinions about things like this.

2 comments:

Becky said...

christa - becky here - we had to make this decision really early in our marriage with my passat ("my first baby") and we finally traded her in...she just started up and dying on us and regretted the 4 thousand we spent trying to keep her alive those last six months - so, you know where I stand on this issue - also - hillcrest farms outside of kingsburg - sanger I think - I meant to let you know a couple of weeks ago - sorry...good luck and keep praying - an answer will come. becky

Anonymous said...

Seriously wish I had some wisdom for you. I hate making those decisions too... but if you think you can get by with one car maybe selling the suburban isn't such a bad idea... good luck!