Friday, October 10, 2008

Home, Sweet Home

Last night was so wonderful. It was my first real "this is my house!" moment that I'd been imagining for a long time. We've moved around so much in the last 5 years (I think 9 times...seriously. And that's not counting the 6 months before we got married when I moved in and out of the dorms pretty quickly) that moving into this house felt like just another move for awhile. I love the house, but it's not the first house we've lived in since we've been married, or even the first one we've lived in alone. So, I guess the "my house" thing hasn't really sunk in.

Last night I decided to do BBQ chicken and mashed potatoes for dinner (so yummy). As we moved around the kitchen doing different dinner things I had my first feelings of...um...possession maybe? It was like a "this is what I've been imagining!" moment. It was so great. I can't wait to spread seed this weekend, and begin making the backyard my little get away. I've got such great ideas for it and great plans. I wish we could do it all right away, but there's two problems with that. Money for one. The baby will be coming, so we'll be spending a lot of money on that, and then the other is that I really do want to do a lot of it myself, and that takes time. But the possibilities excite me!

I told Paul that I really want to decorate my house/lawn for Halloween this year, mostly because I can! I always wanted to do that as a kid, and of course, we never did. We made a few scarecrows over the years, but that's about as creative as I remember getting. I probably won't do anything extreme this year (but, just wait. I will!) but I look forward to having my own porch to put my jack o lantern on where people can see it and maybe some lights up my walkway (and just for the record, we did have that house, and I could've put my pumpkin on my porch there, but no one would've seen it and I worked very hard on it!). I'm not terribly creative, so the final result won't be anything spectacular. I'm still trying to decide what Keith will be for Halloween since I really want to take him trick-or-treating this year. (Any good...easy...ideas, shoot them my way!)

On a different note, the weather has got me feeling so happy! It's finally cool! Of course, the last really warm night here was Wednesday which was the night we went to the Fresno fair. I wore pants, and that combined with tons of bodies, lights and the weather had me quite warm. Oh well. Without my AC on last night, before 11:00 it was only like 72* in my house. I had the sliding door open all day yesterday letting the breeze come through. This morning Keith's hands and feet were cold when he came into my room, so I happily put some pj pants on him. I look forward to making soup and sipping on hot chocolate and cider. Yay!

4 comments:

Chelsey Hymas said...

I wish the weather here was like that. It went from the "cool" stage to the "cold" stage in about 12 hours. Its now down into the 50
s during the days. I'm not likin it at all. Your house looks cute!

Anonymous said...

ooohh I know what you mean about the lawn. Nate and I had so much fun doing the one for our landlords that I look forward to doing one for me.... Glad to hear things are well... What have you got to get for the baby still?

Jen said...

Congratulations again on your new home!! It must be so exciting for you!! I look forward to someday having a home that's not attached to someone elses house... but all in good time. For the time being I'm grateful to have lots of space in the home I do have! And in the meantime, I can't wait to see yours! I'm budgeting gas money for a couple of trips back & forth to Fresno while we're in Cali for Christmas so that we can hopefully spend some real time there. I love you!

Rebecca Susan said...

For Halloween costumes, you really should just starting cruising the "babys and kids" and "clothes and accessories" sections on craigslist. People are always trying to dump their old costume for like $10. All you'd have to do is zip him up! There's already a whole lot on there. I also still have Amanda's pumpkin if you want to use that. It still just barely goes over Dylan and Keith's a couple inches shorter, so he could probably wear it.