Monday, October 6, 2008

I'd Almost Forgotten How Nice It Is...

So yesterday, after conference, Paul and I went over to Daniel Netzley's house for his birthday party. When he told Paul about it initially (and Paul told me) we thought it was just going to be a little BBQ action and hanging out. When we got there, and his mom, dad, and sister pulled up behind us and there were already 2 other cars there, we realized that this was a bigger gathering than either of us had initially anticipated. Paul has been adopted into the Netzley family over the years, so it certainly wasn't the first time we've gotten together with the family, but it was a surprise to walk into the house and find his whole (except one brother) family there and even Grandma Netzley (who I absolutely adore!)

Also, his best friend (or so I assume) Albert was there, and another couple showed up with their 3 kids. Keith had such a blast playing with all the other kids there. There were about 6 other kids there for him to play with and we didn't have to watch him the whole time...it was great!

I was initially a little nervous because I have met Daniel's wife maybe once, very briefly, and had no idea what to expect. I wanted to make a good impression and have a hope for a friendship as Paul would love to do more things with them. They are great fun to hang out with. Also, Peter (Daniel's brother) was there with his new wife Mai and I don't know her very well yet either, and being adopted into the Netzley family means we will probably being seeing a lot more of each other.

I had such a great time! I'd forgotten what it's like to hang out with friends, and more especially friends who are at the same point in life that I am. I miss my high school friends, but it's a totally different dynamic with people who are married and have kids too. I felt so comfortable and had such a wonderful time talking to everyone and joking, laughing, and talking about normal adult things. I got to talk to Mai a little more, and got to know Tiffany just a little bit. Both seem like just awesome people. Mai has a great sense of humor and made jokes about how if she and Peter moved down to Chinatown in LA she'd spend all her time trying to explain to people where "Hmongs" come from. They'll say "So, are you from Mongolia?"

She'll say "No, we're from Thailand."

And then they'll say "So you're Thai?" to which she then replies with wide eyes, "No, we're Hmong!" And then she tries to explain that Hmong's don't have their own country.

I had to say "well, you have to admit it IS a little confusing!" and she just laughed. Tiffany, I didn't get to talk to quite as much, since she was the hostess and was wrangling her kids a lot or preparing something, but I did get to talk to her a little and I'm looking forward to being able to get to know her better with slightly less people around.

We left our house a little after the last session of conference and were there basically all evening until past Keith's bed time, but he had a great time and so did Paul and I. Now I know what we've been missing out on!

No comments: